Shaping Technology Together
At a glance
- Artificial fotosynthesis is a visionary technology that follows the example of plants in using sunlight to produce energy-rich hydrocarbons or other forms of energy.
- acatech discussed the opportunities and risks of artificial fotosynthesis with sections of the public at an early research stage.
- Interested members of the public were able to help shape utilisation of the technology and incorporate their ideals, ideas and concerns in its further development.
- Dialogue based on technology futures proved successful, but there is no perfect solution for public involvement.
- Early public involvement in shaping technology is essential in today’s society.
- The approach of basing discussion on technology futures has proved successful.
- The general challenges associated with scientific communication need to be taken into consideration.
- New formats should be identified and tested and the media’s role should be explored.
- It is recommended that the public also be involved in other areas of technology at an early stage.